Total Pageviews

Wednesday 15 September 2010

Udaipur, Lake Pichola & bat swarms

Impressions of India: 32
Death by power lines - though I still can't quite work out what the furry, fly-covered thing underneath the bat is....
Like all other lakes and reservoirs in Rajasthan when I visited, Lake Pichola was seriously depleted thanks to several years of severe drought.
Watching the sun set over Lake Pichola was stunning, and made all the more memorable by thousands of fruit bats launching themselves out of the trees to swoop and glide over the water, filling the air with squeaking cries and rustling wings.
And there you have it - the end of my first solo Indian adventure with camera. Hopefully there will be many more, for I found it a seductive country filled with vivid colour and beautiful artistry, and home to a graceful, warmly smiling people who, despite the undeniable hardships suffered by many, seem particularly good at taking the time to savour life's joys.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your photos. They are a very interesting assortment of the type that I would want to take if I ever got the chance to go to India. Of course I would like the traditional tourist attraction photos, too, but I like the photos that you shot because they really give you the feel of the country and the people. I found your page because my son is in India on business right now. He told me about the bats that he saw from his hotel, so I was looking up bats in Hyderabad. Most of what I found was cricket bats. At first I thought they must be the type of bats that eat crickets (ha, ha), but they were the athletic type of bats. I was so glad to find your page because your pictures of the bats are phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anonymous, thankyou so much for your kind words - all lovely to hear! I don't know if you'll get this response as I suspect the 'anonymous' meant you didn't leave an e-mail address. I need to change my Blog host as it's rather too involved for people to sign up, but if you send me an e-mail address I'd be happy to keep you posted on future blogs. Many thanks again, Cathy

    ReplyDelete